Background

Monday, January 28, 2013

Continuation of a Chinook - yes please



1/21/2013
Dear Family,

We have had a few days of cooler weather, but it still is not bad.  I'm still waiting for us to reach -40, but I will not complain.

The highlight of the week was definitely going to the temple. Oh my it had been way too long - nine months to be exact.  Yeah for having the temple in your zone- you can go every other transfer.  Any who, I had an overwhelming feeling of peace and comfort while I was in the temple, just what I needed.  Sister Little told me she was worried that she would not be able to get me out of the temple.  I could have just spent the entire day there.  Thankfully I was able to get the boost that I needed and I am so grateful for that.

We have been doing very well at establishing weekly visits with people, especially less actives, which is super nice.  We finally were able to get a hold of some less actives and we tried to set up appointment with them.  The most common response: please call me and then we will set up a time.  Okay...we will do our best to get a hold of you.  Or "we will call you back." I wish I believed people when they said that.  Our weekends still are a little empty, but we are working on it. 

We had a lesson with a former investigator.  We were hoping to bring a member with us, but the member fell through.  The man's name is Tesfa and he and his wife are from Egypt.  I do not think his wife knows much English.  Over a year ago Tesfa had gone down to Temple Square and had a good experience.  When Sisters had taught him before he had concerns regarding almost every point of doctrine in the first lesson.  Our plan of attack was going to be to watch "Between Heaven and Earth" and talk about his experience at Temple Square.  Well, that did not go as planned.  He had a question for us about priesthood authority and that's what we pretty much spent the entire lesson about.  We did point out the scripture about baptisms for the dead - which he had never noticed before.  (Tesfa is very knowledgeable with the Bible). It was also interesting trying to teach purely from the Bible, he would not let us use the Book of Mormon.  There doesn't seem to be very much real intent or interest with him at this point.  But Tesfa said that he would do some research about how men receive authority from God in the Bible and we will follow up next week.

We also contacted another former investigator, Barb.  She is a sweetheart.  Barb has a really good friend who is a member and her daughter took piano lessons from her.  Barb attended a baptism in the fall and then no one has been in contact with her since.  She is undergoing chemotherapy and has cancer related fatigue.  She is more than willing to let us come over and visit.  She doesn't like to ask for help, but she is willing to let us doing some light house cleaning as needed.  Sister Little also asked if we could come over and read the Book of Mormon with her.  Barb loved that idea and admitted that she really has not been reading it.  That is the key - you need to read the Book of Mormon in order to know that it is true. (And pray about it....)

Other exciting news - the ward boundaries will be changing on Sunday.  There has been so much speculation going around, it's kind of funny.  It's sound just like the missionaries trying to do transfer predictions.  It's a little strange thinking that we will be having a new area next week - losing some people, gaining some people.  I'm trying not to be stressed out about it, because there is nothing that I can do, except to just accept the Lord's will.  So, you shall be hearing about that next week.

That's about all I can think of for this week.  Hopefully we will help Barb to progress and continue to help bring people closer to Christ!
Have a fantastic week and don't freeze!
-Sister Douglass

No comments:

Post a Comment