I
have decided that I want to be in Lethbridge for the winter. They have
these amazing weather patterns called Chinooks. It is when a warm wind
comes in for a few days and warms it up by about 20 degrees. Sometimes
the wind is not fun to deal with, but people in Lethbridge say that is
how it is during the winter. A cold storm will come in and then a
Chinook comes in and warms it up for a few days. It helps to break up
winter. Yes, it does get down to -30 and -40 but I think the Chinooks
make it more bearable. :)
This week was pretty great. On Halloween, instead of being in our
apartments at 6 pm we were able to get together with all of the
missionaries in the Zone and have a party!!! I attempted to dress up as
"Partly cloudy with a chance of rain." :) Sister Brower's costume was
probably the best. She had an all white suit that was puffy - I was
thinking a marshmallow, nope. She laid on the ground and was spilled
milk. hahahaha. I was laughing so hard. It was super funny. I shall
have to get a picture from her. A young man came and engaged in
festivities with us. He is a recent convert and just received his
mission call! He's going to Monterrey Mexico. He leaves in March - so
his wait is going to be about as long as mine. :) I love talking to
recent converts and hearing their stories.
We had a great lesson with a less active woman that we have been
working with. She has gone though a rough time and she is once again
trying to quit smoking. He boyfriend officially cut her off so she
knows that she does no have the money to continue on with that
addiction. She had an incredible testimony and she has really been
setting goals and trying to stay busy. I love being able to see people
change. She realizes how much she relies on the Lord and how much He
can help her. She was having a really tough day on Sunday (that is the
day she chose to quit). I pray that we will be able to continue to help
her grow stronger and she is in this next part of her journey of
returning to activity.
I love the ward members here. They are soooo fantastic!!! They are
so willing to help us out when ever we need it. They love to feed us. I
just love feeling like I am a part of their family while I am away from
mine and how close I have gotten with so many people. It's the best.
Sunday was WONDERFUL!!! It was so nice to be back and to have a full
Sunday service. I loved testimony meeting. Our recent convert,
Andrea, got up and bore her testimony. Did I mention before that public
speaking scares her to death? She got up and bore a beautiful and
powerful testimony about her conversion. I feel that it touched
everyone in the meeting. Ah! It was just soooo great!!! Then the lesson
in Relief Society was an answer to my prayer. It was all about self
worth. There was a cute saying that the teacher handed out to everyone
and I decided that I will keep it with me at all times with a picture of
the Savior on the back. It says, "I have amazing potential. I can make
good choices. I am never alone. I can do hard things. I am beautiful
inside and out. I am of great worth. He has a plan for me. I know who I
am: a daughter of God." :) The lesson was what a lot of my companions
and other people have told me. But for some reason it just clicked
yesterday. I have to realize that yes, I have weaknesses, but God
doesn't focus on that. I was called to come a serve a mission because
of my strengths. I will, with the Lord's help, will be able to over
come my weaknesses. I am probably not doing the lesson justice, but it
really touched me and it has helped me to take a step forward in the
mission.
Another blessing/miracle. We were able to set up an appointment with
a part member family that we have been trying to get in contact with
for...a least a month. The wife is not a member and she has been coming
out to church. This Sunday she and her husband decided to stay for
Sunday school. Woot!!! :) I feel that good things are going to happen.
We had a wonderful lesson with a member family yesterday. We shared
a Mormon Message about the Book of Mormon. We were each bearing our
testimony about the Book of Mormon and how we know that it is true. The
husband started to tell us about a friend he knows from school. She's
had a rough life and is having a hard time with her grandmother's
death. He told us that he really wants to invite her to hear the
message of the Restoration and he wants her to know how the gospel will
bless her, but he isn't sure how to ask her. We promised him that as he
turns to the Lord, He will help him to know what to say. We are placed
in people's lives for a reason. He thanked us for bringing the spirit
in more abundance in his home. It was very sweet of him to say that. :)
I hope that this is the right time for his friend to learn about the
gospel.
Oh, so probably the highlight of this week will be....going to the
temple!!!!! Sister Rice and I are going with one of the wards for their
temple day. Andrea is going to do baptisms for the dead for her
grandmother and great grandmother.
Good things are going to continue to happen!! The days of miracles
have not ceased!!! I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to serve a
mission. For everyone I have had a chance at meeting and helping them
to strengthen their faith in Christ!
Love you all!!!!
-Sister Josie Douglass
No comments:
Post a Comment