Background

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Mucho Adventures



4/29/2013

So...guess where we went last week? If you guessed Banff you are correct. :) The entire zone went out and we hiked Johnston's Canyon.  It was super entertaining because there has been so much melting and freezing going on that it was really slick and none of use had proper footwear.  Much sliding and falling happened.  I will have to get pictures from someone.  It's really neat to begin to see the turquoise color of the lakes that are there.  We shall see if I end up going for a fifth time being here.  Speaking of which - I am still in Calgary for another six weeks with Sister Fenn! We shall see what the next transfer will bring.

Other stories - we made it to the east side for our oil change just fine.  We did miss the building, but it was just a minor thing.  There and back again safe.  Sorry, nothing really exciting to report with that.

Okay so two Saturdays ago was the BOMB! We had left our Ensign at Thandi's house and we needed it for Visiting Teaching (yeah, we are official visiting teachers for some sisters in the ward). Thandi asked what are plans were for the night, where we were going for dinner and we told her we had none.  She asked her mom if we could stay and bam - we had dinner at her house.  But the fun did not stop there.  First of all - I met my first white African NOT from South Africa.  He's from Uganda, there was a many from Kenya there and Thandi is from Botswana.  I thought it my head "if Jasmine was here she would freak out." :) AND we had an authentic meal from Botswana!!! No utensils allowed! It was corn meal, vegetables and meat.  You had to get a clump of corn meal, roll into a ball, imprint your thumb and then scoop up the vegetables or meat.  It was so great.  Then we had an incredible lesson with Thandi.  She brought up such a good point.  Why is it that people accept that Satan still has influence in the world, but they get all upset when we tell them that God continues to talk to us today? Just some food for thought.  We left the lesson and I told Sister Fenn, yeah, it's moments like this that make your mission worth it.  We were all so pumped afterward, we just wanted to take on the world.

Highlight of last week was having dinner with the Schindler's from Lethbridge. :) They were coming up for the farewell fireside and Sister Schindler insisted that we had to have dinner together.  It was so great to see them and play catch up, but it was hard to say good bye again.  But I know it's not permanent!

We have had two incredible lesson with Barb.  Our first one we got nine verse into 2 Nephi 9 and Barb asked us, "How can I know if this is the devil influencing me?" We had a great discussion about how to recognize the spirit and how Satan cannot duplicate the fruits of the spirit, especially peace.  Barb said that she feels that her opinion is changing and she is beginning to feel like this is the truth.  We gave Barb a lot to think about.  The lesson last week she told us that she is thinking about what changes she needs to make in her life.  Such as, What would happen if I did stop drinking coffee? Well, I'd have more counter space. :) She is progressing so much and we feel that she is going to be baptized soon!!!

Other endeavours that happened- we built a gate this weekend! Our ward mission leader broke his leg and so we went and assisted him.  He also wanted to use it as a finding activity with his neighbor.  We painted it and we will probably go by sometime this week to make sure it gets hung. :) That was pretty exciting.  I let Sister Fenn use the power tools. :) I am not my mother's daughter when it comes to things like that.  I did use the electric sander once.

The past few weeks we have had farewells in the ward.  It is so neat to see these young men be super excited to go on a mission.  Especially when it may not seem like a glamorous mission like the Canada Winnipeg mission. (Did you know that Winnie the Pooh originated from Winnipeg!!!)

Thank you for all of your love, support and prayers!!!
Until next week! (Oh and it is snowing again outside....yeah!)
-Sister Douglass

No comments:

Post a Comment