President has a 15 minute rule which means we need to have something scheduled for
every 15 minutes. If they fall through we go tracting. Guess who got to go tracting after being in her first area for maybe 4 hours? Me. I wasn't expecting everyone to let us in and say "I want to get baptized", but I was amazed how many people wouldn't even let us get two words in. They would see us and says "I'm not interested." Sister Nielson told me that in the Okatoks area people are very comfortable with where they are at and they don't see a need for change. (Okotoks is just barely south of Calgary).
I love personal study time, it's usually what gives me my boost for the day. My second day out I was reading in 1 Nephi 3 & 4 and it struck me how many times Nephi says 'let us be faithful and keep the commandments of God'. He knew the Lord has promised that Laban would be delivered into their hands and Nephi kept the faith. I likened it unto myself by saying 'Sister Douglass, you have only been in the mission field for one day. The Lord has commanded you to serve a mission and He will provide a way for you to be able to accomplish all that He has planned for you.'
Sister Nielson shared a part of a talk with me. It's by Elder Holland, I think it's called The Atonement and Missionary work. He talks about how Christ's ministry wasn't easy. There was nothing easy about the atonement - so why should we think that our mission will be easy?
every 15 minutes. If they fall through we go tracting. Guess who got to go tracting after being in her first area for maybe 4 hours? Me. I wasn't expecting everyone to let us in and say "I want to get baptized", but I was amazed how many people wouldn't even let us get two words in. They would see us and says "I'm not interested." Sister Nielson told me that in the Okatoks area people are very comfortable with where they are at and they don't see a need for change. (Okotoks is just barely south of Calgary).
I love personal study time, it's usually what gives me my boost for the day. My second day out I was reading in 1 Nephi 3 & 4 and it struck me how many times Nephi says 'let us be faithful and keep the commandments of God'. He knew the Lord has promised that Laban would be delivered into their hands and Nephi kept the faith. I likened it unto myself by saying 'Sister Douglass, you have only been in the mission field for one day. The Lord has commanded you to serve a mission and He will provide a way for you to be able to accomplish all that He has planned for you.'
Sister Nielson shared a part of a talk with me. It's by Elder Holland, I think it's called The Atonement and Missionary work. He talks about how Christ's ministry wasn't easy. There was nothing easy about the atonement - so why should we think that our mission will be easy?
A miracle we saw was visiting a less active member, Sister Fancourt. We watched 'We matter to Him' by President Uchtdorf from last conference. It was amazing to see her whole countenance change as we watched the talk. She has been through a lot of rough times in her life. She doesn't understand why God lets people suffer. She scheduled for us to stop by and do service next week. Sister Nielson was so excited because Sister Fancourt usually doesn't schedule for the
missionaries to come back. They have to call or stop by to set up an appointment.
I love Sundays. They are so rejuvenating and a little more relaxed than the rest of the week. A returned missionary spoke in one of the wards. His talk was focused on the Good Shepherd. He told one of his favorite stories. A man traveling in Morocco saw that an accident had happened. They pulled off to see what had happened. A car had stuck a lamb belonging to a local shepherd. The man saw the shepherd gently pick up the injured lamb and tenderly stroke it and kept saying something over and over again. The driver explained that the shepherd
was calling the lamb by name, for he knows all of their names. The missionary said that we are all sheep and we all get hit by cars, different sizes and speeds, at all times during our lives. The Good Shepherd is always there to pick us up and to help us. Love it!
The Canada Calgary mission has been given the challenge to baptize a new stake before the temple opens - so about 2600 people. We are at about 900 people. President Archibald spoke to the mission leaders and promised them that if every stake will baptize at least one member per month until the temple opens. Woot! Let's get to work!
- Sister Douglass
- Sister Douglass
No comments:
Post a Comment