Background

Monday, April 22, 2013

Spring, spring, spring...almost



https://bay161.mail.live.com/mail/clear.gif
Calgary has been experience a rather warm spring, which is fantastic! I think it might be a little bit cooler this week, some storms coming in, but I think it's rain instead of snow.This week was rather difficult to get a hold of people: Easter weekend and Spring Break for most schools, but we still pressed on in the work of the Lord.  We got in with some less actives this week.  We helped one do some house work and she fed us lunch.  Another one told us about how she knows that she needs to come to church.  She even had a dream about it. :) We followed up with her that evening to make sure she had talked to her mother about driving her and her sister to church.  And she did!!!! Ah! It was so great to have the two of them at church! She shared her testimony in Relief Society about how she joined the church two years ago and she loved the feeling of peace and joy in her life.  She said that despite being ridiculed by family and friends she knew joining the church was the right thing to do.  She has been less active for about two months and she said that it crushed her, because she never ever thought that she would be one to go less active.  We are hoping to get her as a ward missionary and to keep her involved with the ward.

We had a dinner with a part member family, which was great.  It kind of was a last minute arrangement, but they love to help out any way that they can.  The husband isn't really interested in taking the lessons right now, but he is open and willing to listen to spiritual messages that we leave.  We attempted to introduce them to family history and we are hoping that a member who has more knowledge and experience can come with us next time to help us help them with their family history.  We will let the Spirit of Elijah work on them for a little bit :) But the wife shared a cool experience that her husband had.  I guess some Elders approached him (this was probably 5ish years ago) and gave him a Book of Mormon with their testimonies written in it.  He has kept the Book of Mormon and really treasures it.  I have a feeling he will join some day, but now may not be the time for us to invite him.

We have been trying to think out of the box for finding activities and our brilliant idea for the week was: put pass along cards with the QR scan on them in Easter eggs and place them along walking paths and benches at bus stops. :) It was pretty fun! We may not see immediate results from it, but we prayed that the people who find them will go to mormon.org and feel prompted to learn more.  Since the weather has been nicer we have been trying to do more street contacting - taking walks.  We got into a heated discussion with a Seventh-Day Adventist.  It was intense.  She was nice, but she kept going off about how we should not teach from the Mormon book and we only should teach from the Bible.  She was offended that my Bible was tucked away in my backpack and I had a Book of Mormon in my hand.  Then she went off about how we do not worship the Sabbath correctly.  I think we ended on good terms.  I just get frustrated when people tell me that I am on a mission because I have been "indoctrinated" and that I am "forced" to go and that I need to pray about the "truth" and find the "correct" path.  Yeah people, that is the whole reason I am on a mission.  Because I have prayed and I do have a testimony about the whole truth. :)

We did have a miracle this week, okay we have miracles every day, so this is our big one for this week.  A member of the Temple Presidency called.  Let me tell you, it's a little intense when you are having your personal study and your phone rings and "Calgary Temple" shows up on the caller id. :) President Stonehocker told us a man walked into the temple wanting to know what church it was. :) President Stonehocker had a good twenty-minute talk with him, gave him some pamphlets.  The man, Frank, really wanted to join us for Sunday services. We called him twice, but he didn't answer the phone. We have the community where he lives...but that's about it.  Pray that we will get in touch with him this week! We need to remind him of what he felt when he went into the temple.

We didn't have much success getting in with less actives with weekend and sharing an Easter message, but we did finally get a hold of Sharon and scheduled an appointment with her.

Easter was great. I didn't realize it was testimony meeting (due to conference) but there were some powerful testimonies born.  Especially a 17 year old girl who lost her father last year and this is their first Easter without him.

Good things are going to happen this week! Hope you have a fantastic week!!!!!
Love!
-Sister Douglass

No comments:

Post a Comment