Background

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Ward hopping and fast offerings‏

3/18/2013
 
This week has been a little crazy.  Let me start off with the most important details: My new companion is Sister Fenn from the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas (needless to say she is freezing).  She is the third oldest out of eight siblings.  She was going to BYU-I studying International Studies.  She was there when President Monson made the announcement of the mission age being lowered so she sent in her papers and boom she is here.  Yes, she is 19. :)

I will try to explain how crazy this week has been.  It all began when we went to the fireside with the new missionaries.  At the fireside the new missionary gets a paper and it says where they will be serving and who their companion will be. Sister Fenn read out that we were going to be in 17th ward. I had a slight heart attack at that point.  It is because the Zone Leaders had told us about a week before that we were only going to be over one ward, Arbour Lake ward and the Elders in Bow Valley Ward would take over 17th ward. Sister Little and I had been prepping 17th ward so it would be a smooth transition...and then this happened. I asked President about it ...twice and he said that the Elders in Bow Valley were covering Arbour Lake ward and we were to be in 17th ward. Well, my stress level just sky rocketed and all of the appointments we had set up for the next day went out the window. Calling everyone (ward mission leader, investigators, less actives you had been working with, ect) that night= not fun and tears were involved. We tried to not let this hiccup affect us too badly, we set up appointments and tried to press forward. Things were going fine. I just accepted that we needed to be in 17th Ward and that is where the Lord needed us to be. 

Barb was thrilled! We had a great lesson with her and she even mentioned baptism to us.  She still is struggling with the trinity, but she will accept the truth as she continues to read and pray about the Book of Mormon.  I have a feeling that she will be baptized.

Life is peachy, we are getting appointments set up...then...Saturday afternoon we got a phone call from the Zone Leaders.  They inform us that the Elders in Bow Valley will now be in charge of 17th ward and we are officially over Arbour Lake Wards. Gong show.  I asked when this was effective - immediately.  We showed up to Arbour Lake ward on Sunday and the ward council had been informed that they were getting Elders...surprise! I'm sure 17th ward was also in for a little bit of a shock when Elders showed up instead of us. It's been a slight headache, but I know there is a reason for this. Sister Fenn and I have been having fun trying to come up with every possible scenario of what President could do for next transfer. :) We technically are living with members from 17th ward right now, so my guess is 17th ward will get their own set of missionaries and we will have to find a place to live in Arbour Lake Ward and we will be placed in the three leg. haha it's been great.

There is a great blessing with paying fast offerings as a missionary.  You get food coming out of your ears.  I've been bad and I haven't paid fast offerings for a while. Mostly because I never had cash with me and we would forget to go to the bank. We had our mission debit card recently change so I had to pull all of the money from my old card and thus I have cash to pay for fast offerings...and the food keeps coming.  Keep the commandments, you will be blessed. :)

I think that was most of the highlights for the week.  It's been a little cold (in the 20s) but not bad.  Hopefuly it will be warming up soon, but people had said to keep expecting snow. yeah!

Love you lots!
-Siste Douglass

No comments:

Post a Comment