Background

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Curve Balls



3/4/2013

Well we had a few surprises this week.  Sister Little and I found out that we will no longer be over 17th ward next transfer, it will be taken over by the District Leader. I was quite upset at this information because two of the people that I feel a very strong connection to and I feel have made the most progress since I have been here are in the 17th Ward.  But two of our investigators are male and it will be a lot easier for the Elders to get in than us.  Plus as we have been trying ti figure out what will help them the best we both agree that they need priesthood holders to help them progress...so overall it will be good.  I know that President Nicholas was prayerful about this decision and this is what the Lord wants.

Next item that we were not expecting this week....training calls.  Sister Little and I are both training.  One of us will be purge training....they didn't tell us who.  Most likely it will be Sister Little, but anything can happen.  So...in mission terms I'm going to be a mom on March 13! Yikes. I knew that I would be training this upcoming transfer due to the amount of Sisters coming in, but after the Assistants told us I just felt a weight of responsibility come down on me.  I have been worried about training and Sister Little has helped me a lot.  We've been going over the trainer's manual and if I have questions about anything she has given me suggestions.  I did get a blessing from the Elders yesterday, which helped me a lot.  It is amazing at how much the Lord is aware of us.  There is such power in the Priesthood.  I still am nervous about training, but not enough to distract me from other things.  I don't feel it as much as I had before. (When I get stressed I tend to feel the tension in my back and it's gone, which is super nice). A bonus to training...we get our own specialized Sisters Trainers training meeting this week!!!! Every companionship but two will be there.  It will be such a blessing to see Sister Hoyt and Sister Garner (Sister Rice won't be there :( but I did see her last week on P-day!)

Last week was pretty great.  We had a combined Zone P-day and Sister Little drove us through Canada Olympic Park yeah! There is a development that is literally right behind the Park, kind of crazy! It was super fun to be able to see Sister Rice and her companion, Sister Beasley.  It was a nice relaxing P-day. We caught the Bates again, did a short lesson on the Plan of Salvation in their doorway.  Hockey championships are just about over, so hopefully we can meet with them again soon.

We had an amazing lesson with Barb.  We went over the Tree of Life and the interpretation of it.  Barb told us that she is loving reading the Book of Mormon. It is coming to life to her more than the Bible! We are going to ask her to pray specifically about if the Book of Mormon is true. :) She also has agreed to let us come over twice a week! Ah! I just love Barb; she is so great!

We had quite a few lessons with less active members - two of them we have been trying since January to get in with. We also had a get together with some of the less active/part member/investigators in Arbour Lake ward.  It was a chill meet and greet plus movie. Justin and Lorena came and they had a good time.  It's nice for people in the ward to meet them so they can help us with fellow shipping them into the ward.

Random fact:
Canada no longer has pennies. They did what I believe the United States has threatened to do. We shall see how this goes.

Best story of the week:
We were running home late after an appointment...yes, after "pumpkin time". And as we got on the main road home there was a huge line up of cops.  We thought there has been a terrible accident or shooting so we were going to have to figure out some other way to get home. Our district leader called as and as we approached the cops I saw a sign that said "Alcohol check point". The officer motioned for us to pull over and we told our district leader we would call him back.  The Officer asked if we had been drinking or if we had any alcohol in our possession.  We told him no and he let us drive on.  We busted up laughing and called our district leader back. Only as a missionary when you are running home because you are late for "curfew". Good time, good times.

Yesterday we had a huge storm hit. I bet it will be coming down to Utah today. We got about 10 inches of snow dumped on us.  One of our wards was canceled, but we made it to the other one.  We were told not to do any unnecessary driving.  We were able to watch the CES Broadcast, which was spectacular, you should watch it if you didn't get a change to see it yesterday.  The entire time Elder Bednar was speaking Sister Little and I kept thinking that Barb needs to watch it.  He talked about Elder Maxwell's quote, "It is better to not shrink that it is to survive." Elder Bednar was asked to give a blessing to a young man and Elder Bednar asked the question, "Do you have the faith to not be healed." Interesting question.  It made me think about where my faith in the Savior is right now and how I am approaching a stage where I am probably going to have to rely on the Savior like I have never had done before.

Life is great and I will let you know how the trainer's training is next week. Next week is transfers so we will be emailing on Tuesday.  Also, we are going to Banff again...(I know...we are spoiled) but we will be emailing first.  We shall see which one of us is purge training - eek!

Lots of love!
-Sister Douglass

No comments:

Post a Comment